4 Reasons to own more than one pair of foot orthoses
Last update: 2 April 2021
While it is not necessary to buy several pairs of different foot orthoses, it can make your life a lot easier.
Having more than one pair of orthotic insoles has benefits for all types of people, from the hard-working athlete to the newly retired.
If you still have doubts, read on to learn 4 reasons why you should own more than one pair of orthotics.
1. They wear out less quickly
Although most custom insoles last 5 to 10 years, constant use of a single pair can contribute to their rapid wear and tear.
Generally, even good quality orthotics are more prone to things like:
- Poorly fitting shoes on the feet
- Strong heat sources
- Excessive pronation during the stride
- Rapid weight gain or loss
Keeping that in mind, it becomes easier to grasp why switching between different pairs of foot orthoses will slow their natural wear and tear.
If you have several pairs of corrective insoles, and they all get abnormally worn, you should see your podiatrist.
2. They are better adapted to different activities
It can become pretty frustrating to waste precious minutes washing and drying your orthotic insoles.
This is where you can benefit from owning more than a pair at your disposal.
Also, if you are an active person, it will keep you from the daily use of orthotics that are regularly exposed to impacts.
The same applies to those who work physically demanding jobs, or jobs that require you to stand for several hours.
Podiatrists offer different types of foot orthoses to serve all facets of your life:
- The accommodating orthotics: Especially popular with older people or those who suffer from arthritis, this flexible version of the orthosis reduces stress on the feet.
- The athletic orthotics: As suggested by their name, these orthoses are designed to absorb shock and maximize athletic performance while minimizing moisture in the shoe.
- The short plantar orthotics: This type of orthotic fits a wide range of shoes without sacrificing comfort.
3. They can be implemented with different pairs of shoes
Every type of activity requires its own footwear. Therefore, it is only natural that your orthotics support this notion.
In fact, even if your different pairs of orthoses address one and the same condition, the configuration of each is likely to change depending on the activity being performed.
Orthotic insoles for the city are not necessarily suitable for running shoes and vice versa.
In this regard, we recommend using more than one pair of orthoses to enjoy lasting comfort.
However, it is worth remembering that each of the pairs will require some adjustment time before they are truly comfortable.
4. It is easier to maintain them
You might think that an extra pair of orthotics would increase the amount of cleaning required.
However, if you have several orthotics for the same activity, you can switch when your first pair gets dirty.
Similarly, if you just cleaned them and haven’t had time to dry them but require a pair right away, having more than one will save your day.
PiedRéseau offers foot orthoses suitable for all lifestyles
Foot orthoses are invaluable tools for treating foot pain and postural imbalances.
However, they are subject to a lot of wear and tear and sometimes require the use of additional orthotic insoles.
Would you like to purchase a second pair of foot orthoses? Contact your PiedReseau podiatrist today.